Monday, August 5, 2013

Shaving, shoveling and VBS

Yesterday afternoon Matthew was yelling, "Wipe my butt!" so I hurried upstairs and did the deed (which fortunately I beat Abby to it as the previous day she beat me there and was wiping his butt when I walked in. She did a pretty good job, but well, you know...). I walked downstairs after Matthew had flushed and was at the sink washing his hands. Moments later I heard him screaming horribly and I thought maybe he had fallen off the vanity or bathtub or something similar. Then Jason yelled out to me to bring some band-aids. So I ran upstairs to see Jason wiping blood off of Matthew's chin. It turns out he had tried to shave with Jason's razor which was at the far end of the vanity (so Matthew had to climb across my sink and the rest of the vanity to get to it) and cut himself. I stuck a big bandage on his chin and he then took a pretty good nap after his injury. His cut looks pretty good today and I don't believe he will try shaving anytime soon. After the incident and screaming, Sam said he was never going to shave. Again this morning, Sam told Jason that he was never going to shave. Jason said, "You don't have to shave, you'll just have a really big beard. Sam got excited and replied, "Arrrrgh! I'll be a pirate!" 

Today Sam went to vacation bible school at Ken and Cheri's church. He was quite a trooper being in a semi-unfamiliar environment, especially when Matthew was, um, reluctant to stay and I ended up taking him with me and leaving Sam with his new friends, teachers and new experience. He enjoyed it, especially the singing and dancing and wore the crown he decorated almost all day (it got a little sweaty playing in the sun this afternoon but is still in decent shape). Abby was quite disappointed that she didn't get a crown. Ah, princess.

And Abby was quite a work horse this weekend. We had the stumps from the trees which were taken down in the spring finally chipped and Jason then shoveled and hauled an enormous amount of wood chips to the pathways of my garden and the rest to the dump. After that task, we hauled loads of dirt from the dirt pile which we had delivered this spring to the areas where the stumps were to fill them in. The boys shoveled dirt into the wheel barrow with their snow shovels (which worked surprisingly well), while Abby used a 1/3 cup measuring cup to scoop dirt into the wheel barrow. When I took a break from wheel barrow duty to go prepare lunch, she did not want to stop working, so then she then would get a scoop of dirt and walk the 40 feet or so with it to the stump area, dump it, then walk back and get another 1/3 cup and she did it repeatedly. Abby helped scooping cup after little cup of dirt for probably around 30 minutes and was quite upset when I told her it was lunch time and she had to quit working. I think I know of another Kirchhoff who is reluctant to quit working for lunchtime...hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment