Saturday, December 1, 2012

Scary caterpillar

Yesterday the kids and Grandma Sue and I went to the Java Train Cafe, a coffee shop/cafe with a small caboose inside of it. The caboose has two levels and some toys inside, so the cafe is a fun place to go since the adults enjoy food and beverages and the kids can play. Anyway, the kids were playing a bit in the caboose when Matthew came over to our table, shaken and shaking. He started talking about being very scared or seeing something scary in the caboose. I had no idea what he was talking about. Then he started saying he saw a caterpillar in the caboose that was trying to lick him. I'm not kidding. I couldn't come up with this on my own. Poor Matthew, the little guy was terrified of a supposed human eating caterpillar. I told him that caterpillars don't eat people, they eat leaves, but that didn't calm his fears and he refused to go back into the caboose.

For the rest of the day, Matthew periodically mentioned the scary caterpillar and asked if it was still there or if it would be there when we went back to the caboose. I told him that I would be sure to check out the caboose when we come again to see if the caterpillar was gone or still there. So I will. The kid really has an active imagination these days and I haven't a clue as to what he really saw, but we clearly know what he thought he saw: a man-eating caterpillar. Scary stuff for a two-year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment