Monday, October 11, 2010

Grocery store strategy

Today we went to the grocery store. A trip to the grocery store with two little ones is no easy task. Prior to the trip, I must decide whether the time of day is suitable to a trip with the two kids. Are both well rested? Are we likely to have any nasty diaper incidents? Have the kids eaten? Are they in good moods otherwise? Will it be busy? How long will we have to wait in the checkout line?

Today's forecast was good, so we commenced preparations for the trip. This includes: diaper changes. Getting drink and snack ready (even if the kids just ate, having drink/snack with are part of the overall strategy of a successful grocery store trip). Getting Matthew in the carseat, along with 1-2 toys and a blanket and hat, depending on the outdoor weather. Getting Sam ready: shoes on, coat/sweatshirt, pants, socks, whatever clothing he needs that he doesn't have on either because 1) we haven't gotten fully dressed yet or 2) he took it off or 3) he needs a different shirt/pants/socks because they got dirty between when he got dressed and when we leave. And some books, toys or other items to take with us for the car ride and inside the store. Getting me ready. Go to the bathroom, find purse, keys, phone, coupons, grocery list, get on shoes, coat. Check my hair.

Ok, we make it out of the house and into the car without event. I nearly always forget my reusable grocery bags, but at least I have my purse, keys and the two children. The drive over there involves looking for school buses and other construction trucks to make the trip interesting.

Upon arrival at the grocery store, Sam asks, "Car cart???" Months ago I made the mistake of introducing him to the car carts. The carts with little cars in the front with steering wheels and a little squeaky horn. I get Matthew out of the car first, hoist the car seat out of the car and onto my right arm. Then I get Sam out. The car seat gets set on the ground by Sam's door while I get Sam out. This usually involves some delays as Sam has dropped his toys or drink in the middle of the van, so I must reach over him and grab the misplaced items. He's finally out, then I struggle to hold Sam's hand and carry the little one through the parking lot until we get into the store and get a cart. Sam likes to stop and jump on the rocks in the parking lot and I convince him to move on by telling him about the car cart waiting inside. This averts screaming, crying or going boneless.

There is a car cart when we get inside. Sam climbs into the car part, while I put Matthew into the basket. Groceries go into the seat and on the bottom rack of the cart. While the car carts are fun, the buckles are always broken, so there is no way to keep Sam inside the car during the trip.

This is when the grocery shopping become strategic. First strategy: speed. Move through the store as fast as I can. Thus, my grocery list is organized by store section and there are no diversions, browsing or splurge purchases. Strategy two: give Sam something to hold onto. Today it was a coupon, which he abandoned eventually, then it was chocolate chips. Strategy three: periodically ask Sam to honk the horn in the car. This meets with limited effectiveness and usually only works for the first minute or two in the store. Strategy four: give Sam something to "help me find." Today it was the milk, then car vitamins. Strategy five: speed. Keep moving quickly. Strategy six: smile and touch Matthew occasionally, appreciating his immobility and baby cuteness. This helps with my sanity. Strategy seven: when Sam gets out of the cart, give him a stern, "Back into the car!" while keeping the voice low enough as to not draw attention. Strategy eight: physically put Sam back into the car. This is not fun as he usually turns into the plank. Strategy nine: distract Sam with his drink or snack or toys.

Then it's on to checkout. We find the shortest line possible and Sam starts loading the groceries onto the conveyor belt. He LOVES doing this and it is his favorite part of the trip. While checking out, Sam starts climbing on the stacks of softener salt or charcoal. This usually keeps him occupied until we pay and make our way out the door. Then we get packed up and head home. On the way home today, Sam said "I lost a shoe. I lost a shoe, at the grocery store." He had lost a shoe in the car cart. Fortunately, I saw it before we left and put it in one of the grocery bags. The drive home involves a slightly different route as I see an excavator and two skid steers on another street, so we do a drive by to Sam's delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment