Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Matthew's favorite activity

While Matthew has a number of favorite activities (eating, playing cars, singing, reading, scooting), nothing seems to elicit such joy as when he is playing in the laundry room. I used to just run to the laundry room on my own and put clothes in the washer or dryer or remove them, but I took him in there one day and now it is a favorite activity.

I'm not sure exactly why he likes it so much, but the doors to the washer and dryer have sturdy, nice handles and Matthew can easily hold on to them and stand on his own. And he stands for a long time just laughing and looking around him and laughing and bouncing up and down.

The handles/doors are also reflective and he loves looking at himself and his mommy on the mirror-like surface. Yesterday we were playing in the laundry room and he looked in the "mirror" and giggled, then looked at me, then back into the mirror and back at me and over and over. It sure seemed like he was wondering how his mommy could be in two places at once.

After he has tired himself out by standing at the dryer door for too long, he crawls around on his belly to the shoes and boots. For some reason he really likes shoes and unfortunately, really likes chewing on them. I have to be quick to get them away from him after he tires of playing with Sam's velcro straps and decides it's time to chew. Who knew the laundry room could be so much fun? I never thought I would ever write those words or think such thoughts, but Matthew has really breathed new life into my laundry routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment