Monday, August 9, 2010

My ideal job

The other evening both kids were in bed by 9:30 so Jason and I sat on the deck and had some quality time for an hour or so before hitting the sack ourselves. While Jason is perfectly happy sitting next to his wife in silence, my idea of quality time with my husband includes some conversation, so I threw out some deep questions to Jason. After I asked the question, "What is your ideal job?", Jason in typical form replied, "What, is this an interview?" then he thought briefly and said "President." Ok.

I pondered my own question and replied "I think I'm doing it..." I never would have thought that staying at home with the kiddos would be my ideal job, but it really is. A part of me would have to shut off to leave them with another caregiver each and every day. We are so blessed that I have the opportunity to stay home with the kids as many people do not have the freedom to make that choice. While the dailiness of my at home work is mundane at times, there are so many precious moments that I would miss if I wasn't at home. A few months ago Jason sent me the following quote from Martin Luther and although it was written for fathers, it certainly applies to any parent:

“Alas, must I rock the baby, wash its diapers, make its bed, smell its stench, stay up nights with it, take care of it when it cries, heal its rashes and sores… ?

What then does Christian faith say to this? It opens its eyes, looks upon all these insignificant, distasteful, and despised duties in the Spirit, and is aware that they are all adorned with divine approval as with the costliest gold and jewels. It says, O God, because I am certain that thou hast created me as a man and hast from my body begotten this child, I also know for a certainty that it meets with thy perfect pleasure. I confess to thee that I am not worthy to rock the little babe or wash its diapers, or to be entrusted with the care of the child and mother. How is it that I, without any merit, have come to this distinction of being certain that I am serving thy creature and thy most precious will? O how gladly will I do so, though the duties should be even more insignificant and despised. Neither frost nor heat, neither drudgery nor labor, will distress or dissuade me, for I am certain that it is thus pleasing in thy sight…"

The pictures are from Sunday morning after church. I had actually washed and blow-dried my hair that morning, a rare occurrence these days, and wanted a picture to commemorate the event. I actually wanted an updated photo to post on my profile for the mom's groups I am in. After the large group photo, I set Matthew down on the couch and Sam went and laid beside him, so I captured the other image of the two boys getting along.

No comments:

Post a Comment