Thursday, September 30, 2010

Innate cuteness

As I was changing Matthew's diaper last night, in the dark, his chubby, little legs flew up and he started grabbing at his feet. I smiled and of course, thought, "How cute!" Then I continued to think about how my little guy was just so cute (as all parents do, I would hope). Like how he used to just put his hands up by his head to sleep, he now grabs a little taggy blanket from Grandma Sue and pulls that up over his head to sleep. So when I check in on him, his head is covered with his taggy blanket and I just see his round nose peeking out the side. The other night, Matthew started crying and Jason said "He's on his stomach, you can tell as he can't keep a sustained cry." He was crying in short bursts, then catching his breath, perhaps turning his head from side to side, so I went to his room and rolled him over. Normally such frequent nocturnal interruptions would be resented, but from a 5 mo. old, they are cute. Now when Jason snores, that is another issue.

The word "cute" seems rather cliché, but sometimes I can't think of a more appropriate word to describe Matthew. Perhaps endearing? His innocent actions and sounds just beg to be liked and loved and appreciated. Isn't it endearing that he doesn't try to be cute but he just is? He doesn't try to make unique squeals or coos to make people laugh. He doesn't get haircuts or workout to look nice, he just is adorable, even when naked, and not a lot of people can say that.

Our neighbor Karl, came over the other day while we were playing outside and Matthew was on his stomach on a blanket. He pushed himself up as far as his arms would push him, then craned his neck around to see Karl, standing 6 feet above him. I don't know why that's particularly cute, but I just thought it was. God has blessed babies, Matthew included, with innate cuteness and it's amazing how such simple things can bring such joy to our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment